Friday, April 21, 2006

Maybe My Shrink Was Right

I've been making what I believe are positive lifestyle changes in the last couple of weeks, and I'm feeling a surge of energy.

That energy, however, is being drained by certain personal interests and passions... in particular, my interest in, and passion for current events: the news and compelling news stories.

I was raised in a politically charged family. Current events were a maintstay of conversation. My father was my role model, and he valued my opinion and the basis upon which I formulated it, far, far, far more than he ever appreciated my agreeing with his own opinion.

In short, he encouraged and applauded my interest and endeavors to formulate an opinion or theory. My reward was his listening and respecting. He often followed up with more reasonable guidance and a gentle attempt at redirection, but the tone was never critical. It always encouraged further thought and further development.

My father taught me the political game. He gave me a reference for a job in the state legislature, and he nurtured my way into understanding how things get done. I will never understand all that he knew, but he certainly provided me a unique and insider's view of "the news" and other media statements.

The old saying, "Don't believe everything you read." is true, but the truly wise are able to see through the statement and to determine the reasoning, direction and concealed issues that were likely at hand. To this day, I analyze everything I learn from the MSM.

And it's no secret that I entered the world of web sleuthing with the disappearance of Natalee Holloway. This wasn't the first missing person case that enveloped me, but it's the case that drew me deep into the depths of the internet underworld (ha), including sleuth forums, scarey connections and other blogging sites. It is amazing how little time it takes to learn a massive amount of private information, (not limited to, but) particularly if the subject is of the "myspace" generation. (PARENTS BEWARE!).

All of that said, there are certain issues which are causing me a great deal of anxiety. At the same time that I'm feeling so good, I'm aware that I'm also feeling really bad:
  1. Natalee Holloway is STILL missing.
  2. The hate sites are beyond my comprehension and annoy me. Only those that personally knew and loved Natalee, in my opinion, are entitled to such deep emotions. The fact is... J2K lied. Even if innocent, they created the bed upon which they lie. They, more than Beth, are responsible for the malodies from which Aruba now suffers.
  3. Taco Joe is such a putz!
  4. The ALE are a collective putz!
  5. The arrest of GVC and surrounding rumors are driving me nuts!
  6. Kendrick Jackson is still missing and Quanell X is calling for his (injury to a child charged) father's release so he can help in the search! Puh... leaze! (or is that po... lice!). Daddy-who-beat-da-bebe can help from the confines of jail, but he has by all accounts terminated his cooperation with authorities.
  7. The Duke rape case and all of the surrounding drama. Please! Let's get this trial on the docket and move on!
  8. Illegal immigration and elected representatives who are both hard of hearing... and don't give a poo.
  9. Iran.
  10. Gas prices.
  11. Property taxes.
  12. School funding (on my back!).
  13. Kids shooting at kids. Kids plotting to kill kids. Bullet riddled school buses.
  14. Inequality. Everywhere.
My shrink once told me to stop watching news programs and listening to talk radio.

Maybe she was right.

No comments: