Wednesday, July 14, 2004

No Small Step

Human rights were granted a small reprieve today as the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage failed to advance in the Senate today. The vote to oppose constitutional oppression and discrimination failed, in part, because six Republican Senators joined forces with 43 Democrats and Independents.

My heart would like to believe that this is one small step toward acceptance within the more conservative party, as well as a direct reflection of a more accepting and respectful society.

In reality, however, the Republican opposition centers solely on the issue of states' rights. As Senator John McCain (R-Arizona) put it... "The constitutional amendment we're debating today strikes me as antithetical in every way to the core philosophy of Republicans. It usurps from the states a fundamental authority they have always possessed and imposes a federal remedy for a problem that most states do not believe confronts them." McCain also indicated that if the Supreme Court strikes down the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, or if "state remedies to judicial activism fail," he would consider a constitutional amendment "appropriate".

So, put down that pipe, and make no mistake. This is no affirmation, no victory, no small step.

Again, I am (not surprised but further) disappointed by even the opposing members of the Republican party.

A question for my (gay and) Democrat friends, though... Two Democratic Senators were absent for this "critical" vote. Where were your Johns??? Don't fool yourself into believing that your interest in gay marriage is championed by the Democratic party!

I rarely discuss the issue of gay marriage with any of my friends or acquaintances. I think the reason is my discomfort with the incitement of (understandable) anger in my gay friends, and either (seemingly) patronizing commentary or restrained disgust in my straight friends. I'm not much of an activist, but more an idealist. I prefer to live my life as an example, trust in God, show respect, live by the golden rule... and hope that the rest of the world will do the same.

Yeah, I know... Signing out with my head in the clouds!

No comments: