Sunday, July 25, 2004

If a blogger blogs in the woods...

Ok... so, I've gone blogless for a week. Have I suddenly become dispassionate? disconnected? or otherwise unopionated?

The answer is 'no'. What I have become is a slave to financial security (read survival) and the (few and far between) moments of rest and other (dead on my butt) mindless moments of stupor.

Don't think for a moment that I haven't debated (and blogged), in my own mind, the many immediate and compelling issues... girly men (get a life if you're offended), the (shocking) 9/11 report, racial (this one is VERY tricky) profiling, various criminal (don't you have to be crazy to kill someone on purpose) trials, the Democratic National (why limit the protests) Convention, and on a personal level.. the gutwrenching trials and tribulations of OFFICE politics (not to mention the professional slavery, of working 80 or 90 hours a week, in order to (1) compensate for overzealous promises, (2) overcompensate to reconcile the difference between actuality and statement regarding what has been accomplished so far, (3) endear oneself as a "team player" (like it matters one iota), (4) prove worthiness for a raise, (5) make up for some lost financial ground in the last week or so... and because (6)... (perhaps you don't know that) I'm a lifelong, dyed-in-the-wool, do-or-die, i'll-do-(almost) anything-for-love-and-acceptance, put-me-in-coach (i may be a girl, but i can hang with the boys) mentality, go-getter and... (7) SUCKER that can't say "NO".

I've spent a fair amount of time, in recent weeks, evaluating my position in life in comparison with my hopes, dreams and authentic self. I happen to have committed myself, contentedly and wholeheartedly to a profession, rife with either feast or famine. Famine consumed this past year... and with the feast before me, I have glutinously and diligently consumed as many hours of billable time as I can manage to endure.

Perhaps I'll grow a spine one day. Perhaps my life will, once again, be my own. Work is work. (And, yeah... right, perhaps I'll hit the lotto). Writing and thinking is my passion. Hopefully, one day soon, I'll contribute more regularly in this arena.

I can't wait...

No comments: