Sunday, August 28, 2005

082805 Random Thoughts on Hurricane Katrina

  1. On the holy crap scale, Katrina is off the charts.
  2. It is just so sad and so scarey.
  3. I'm really worried about the people who have been left behind.
  4. Why can't they fly army aircraft and helicopters in and take these people to safety?
  5. Why is it that live shots of the freeways don't show contraflow?
  6. As an architect, it saddens and sickens me to think of the history that might well be erased. The safety of people is far more important, but they are also in danger of losing the identity of their entire city.
  7. I would hate to be trapped, cramped and packed in the Superdome eating pb&j in the heat and darkness.
  8. I hope that the people on the interstates are able to make it out in time.
  9. With so much to do, and so much to worry about, how is it that people can stop and talk to the MSM?
  10. How can three major cable news channels talk non-stop all day about a hurricane that's travelling 13mph?
  11. Putting myself in the position of someone in the affected area, who is anxiously awaiting more news, I don't think I'd be in a position to watch tv. UPDATE: POST-RITA... NOW I UNDERSTAND!
  12. I'm still wondering why they couldn't airlift those people out of there. I mean, they airlift people in the aftermath of a flood, why can't they airlift them before it happens?
  13. We've already gotten a lot of much-needed rain as a result of the changing atmospheric conditions brought about by Katrina. I'm grateful for it, but I would have gladly just watered the lawn.
  14. From a physics standpoint, I have a decent understanding of hurricanes... but I still keep asking myself... why?

1 comment:

Shmoop said...

I've been thinking about the airlift situation and I think they don't do it because too many people would wait and be airlifted out instead of driving in the long line.